100 Ways to Become More Conscious
1. Connect with nature – Go for a walk in the forest, jungle, field of daisies, or wherever you feel like getting a connection with nature. It is possible to feel at deep sense of peace and oneness when you attempt to connect with nature. As you learn to connect and appreciate nature, you allow your consciousness to rise up.
2. Get your body moving – Exercise and dancing will raise your consciousness by promoting healthy brainwave patterns, healthy neurotransmitter levels, and great circulation throughout your nervous system. Help yourself rise up and break the pattern of not exercising by going for a friendly walk with one of your friends or even going to the club to dance. Both examples are: easy, fun, and empowering.
3. Simple meditation – Whether you are an advanced meditator or a beginner, the benefits are tremendous and will allow you to tap into your highest state of conscious functioning if you stick around long enough. It is an act that will definitely raise your conscious awareness and allow you to attain greater focus, discipline, and develop a deeper joyous connection to life.
4. Spending time with true friends – Find only friends that align with who you are, your beliefs, and your values – they will make you more conscious. These are your true friends, and though they can be tough to find, they should definitely be cherished. Give some of your true friends a call and make it a habit to spend more time with them.
5. Have the intention to “raise your consciousness” – If you have the intention to raise your consciousness and state of awareness, you are on the right track. Having the intention alonewill make you more focused on finding ways to raise your consciousness.
6. Tell the truth – Anytime you tell the truth, you raise your level of consciousness. Why do people tell lies? To protect themselves in lower states of consciousness. People in higher states of consciousness don’t lie because they want to be true to themselves, others, and make relationships in humanity more conscious.
7. Find and live your purpose – Searching for a purpose will help you find your true purpose here on Earth. When you find your purpose and are able to share it with the rest of the world, you will continue to raise your level of consciousness.
8. Take conscious control of your decisions – When you take conscious control of all your decisions, you are actually activating certain neural pathways in your brain that help promote self-control, calmness, and inner peace. Every time you allow others to dictate your decisions or you don’t take full conscious responsibility for your decisions, you become slightly conditioned to be less conscious when making choices.
9. Always be open-minded – Being open-minded is a key aspect in the process of becoming a more conscious individual. When you haven’t accepted the diversity that our planet has to offer: ranging from different cultures, religions, wildlife, and beliefs, you will stay in your same state of consciousness or drop to a lower state. Being open-minded doesn’t only need to be for beliefs either. It can be having an open-mind to try something new such as: a new exercise routine, spiritual practice, or trying a new food.
10. Pursue higher intelligence – There are many ways to become more intelligent. Not everyone is intelligent in every area of their life. Some people are more emotionally intelligent, some have a higher I.Q., while some are more spiritually intelligent. All forms of intelligence increases and enhancements will help you on your journey towards expanding your awareness and becoming a more conscious human being.
11. Treat yourself with respect – Having respect for yourself and your actions will ultimately boost the amount of love that you express towards yourself and others. Make wise, respectful decisions that reflect your values and have strong respect for your personal beliefs. Treating others with respect will help you become a more conscious human being too, but before you can respect others properly, you must first learn to show the utmost respect towards yourself.
12. Practice forgiveness – Forgiving yourself can be very difficult sometimes: especially if you are operating in a lower state of consciousness. Realize that in order to rise up, advance, and become a more conscious person, you must be compassionate and forgiving towards yourself. Any hateful thoughts or pent up negative emotions that you may be holding towards yourself need to be released. Negative thoughts and emotions can easily lower our level of consciousness if we do not practice compassion and forgiveness.
13. Cultivate a “high-performance mind” – Cultivating a high-performance mind is a very fun, invigorating process that involves consciously accessing the brainwave state that you consciously choose, whenever you feel it is appropriate for a certain situation. Since their is no single best brainwave state to live life in, it helps to train our mind to consciously be able to “switch” states upon command. For those who want to understand more about developing a high-performance mind, I recommend that you go check out the book The High Performance Mind by Anna Wise.
14. Connect through prayer – The act of simply closing your eyes, folding your hands and saying a prayer will raise your level of consciousness. There are many different ways to practice prayer and there are many different practices, that when combined with prayer, enhance the power of your conscious message. Overall, prayer is a great experience that has potential to aid in your conscious awareness.
15. Challenge your belief system – This one can be difficult for many individuals due to the influence of imprinted beliefs by their parents or guardians during childhood. Some examples of beliefs that you could change include: dietary (changing to a vegetarian), spiritual (from Christianity to Atheism – or vice versa), emotional (from sadness to happiness), etc. By changing your belief system and experimenting with new beliefs, you make yourself more conscious of life’s endless possibilities.
16. Befriend like-minded individuals – On your journey towards becoming a more conscious individual, befriending like-minded people can be extremely helpful. If you are going through many spiritual, emotional, and mental changes without the company of others, the process can be much more difficult and confusing than when you have a guide, guru, or some friends that are traveling at a similar pace to you. Not only is being around like-minded individuals healthy, and optimal for your consciousness, it will ultimately give you more joy in life!
17. Pursue a path of spirituality – Pursuing a path of spirituality and becoming more spiritual will aid you considerably in the process of becoming a more conscious human being. Never be afraid to add a new spiritual practice to your arsenal – you never know what may be most effective or a life changing experience.
18. Express gratitude – Expressing gratitude on a daily basis is a very positive, fulfilling exercise to practice. Ways to express gratitude on a daily basis include: giving thanks for your food, expressing gratitude for yourself and others through prayer (as discussed earlier), complimenting others, and letting another person know that you are thankful for having them in your life. By sharing and expressing gratitude, you feel extremely satisfied and will become more consciously aware of the things that you truly appreciate in life.
19. Make yourself happy – What sort of things make you happy? The answer is usually different for everyone. You can do yourself a favor right now by making a long list of everything that makes you happy in life and acting on your listed items. Feeling and experiencing happiness in your life also will give you the powerful drive that it takes to make yourself more conscious.
20. Act on your desires – Simply having any form of desire will raise your consciousness. Desire encourages us to take action to advance consciously. The state of apathy, or not caring about your consciousness, will naturally lower your consciousness. Desire is a powerful way to raise your consciousness.
21. Boost your brain power and functioning – There are many helpful exercises that you can do to boost your brain power and overall level of functioning. One of my most popular articles, 50 Ways To Boost Your Brain Power, should get you on the right track if you are currently confused about the topic. Raising your level of consciousness will naturally boost your overall brain power, and boosting your brain power will raise your level of consciousness; both affect each other in equal proportion.
22. Take full control of your lifestyle – Are you living the lifestyle that you feel is mostbeneficial for your mental and physical wellbeing? Maybe there are certain bad habits that you need to get rid of or certain good habits that you’d like to implement in your daily routine. Don’t be afraid to act now and make necessary positive changes in your lifestyle to help you take full conscious control.
23. Choose empowering beliefs – In the process of changing beliefs, choose beliefs that are empowering to your soul. A good way to know what belief will be empowering is to simply ask yourself how you feel about adding the new belief. If you feel a strong connection with a new belief, such as feelings of excitement, it will probably be a very good choice of a belief to implement. Make a conscious effort to purge all beliefs that are less than satisfying. Understand also that as you become a more conscious human being, changing your beliefs will become a much easier, more natural process.
24. Avoid physical fighting and abuse – Physical fighting stems from emotional misunderstandings, hatred, and negative emotional expressions. Fighting can be described as the opposite of peace. Physical fighting and other forms of abuse can really do a great job at distracting us from becoming more conscious human beings. Anything that you can do to stop physical fighting and abuse will ultimately make you and the individuals involved more consciously aware.
25. Be aware and accepting of your emotions – No matter your current emotions, you will profoundly help yourself if you are accepting of them. Going through life resisting your emotions and trapping them inside yourself makes life much more difficult. Trying to escape from our emotions lowers our awareness. When you accept what you feel and consciously understand why you feel a certain emotion, your level of consciousness rises.
26. Speak compassionately – When having conversation with others, do you choose your words wisely? Or are you the type of person who could care less what you say? The truth is, people who choose their words wisely and consciously think during conversation are the ones who show greater respect for themselves and more compassion for others. Make a conscious effort to speak compassionately and positive results will follow.
27. Think positive, act positive, be positive – Being a positive influence sets a good example for others and for yourself. Positivity and states of being positive are direct effects of raising your consciousness. I highly recommend trying to be a more positive person in all areas of life; you will notice and feel the beneficial changes in your awareness.
28. Have sex with your partner – Having sexual intercourse is a great way to spread and share your love with another person. The best way to have sexual intercourse is with another positive, healthy, person in which you fully love and trust. Having sexual intercourse is a loving way of transferring and sharing energy with another person. No matter who you have sexual intercourse with, there can be significant conscious benefits.
29. Identify with your soul – Realize that at your core, you are a spiritual being who is living in a physical body. In lower stages of consciousness, this concept may seem unrealistic and may be very difficult to grasp. As you become better at identifying with your soul, you become better at working your way up the mountain of consciousness.
30. See perceived faults as a “mirror image” – When you look at the faults of others and identify faults in other people, use them as a teaching tool for yourself. The people that are in your life weren’t put there by mistake, they were put there to teach you something about yourself. By being able to take personal responsibility for what is being displayed by others into your conscious focus, you can take the information and make very positive changes.
31. Expand your horizons – Trying something new can pertain to any area of your life. Maybe you want to try to add a new healthy habit to your daily routine, shop at an organic store, or even host a block party for the first time. Having courage raises your consciousness and by constantly trying new things, you boost your cognitive ability to adapt and push through any lower states of fear.
32. Face your deepest fears – Are there any fears that you’re holding inside that are prevent you from making conscious advancement? At certain stages along the ladder of consciousness, it can be extremely difficult to face your fears. With that said, facing your fears will equip your consciousness with more empowerment and energy. Healthy fears include: giving a speech, singing in front of others, or throwing a party; this would be a great list of fears to go out and conquer! The choice to face these will help you considerably in your ability to make conscious advances.
33. Use powerful incantations – Incantations are simply words or phrases repeated over and over with emotional intensity for personal or spiritual benefit. They have commonly been used in religious practices to praise certain Gods or deities, but they have also be used for personal development and in the process of becoming more conscious. No matter what way you choose to use incantations, they can be very helpful and a powerful catalyst for helping you become more conscious.
34. Practice positive affirmations – Affirmations are a bit different than using incantations, though the concepts are very similar. Affirmations are used to change beliefs and thinking patterns. Examples of positive affirmations include: “I am healthy,” “I am positive,” and “I am intelligent.” The primary goal of using affirmations should be to replace unhealthy beliefs and thought patterns with healthier ones; making it easier to scale the mountain of consciousness.
35. Be aware of your state of consciousness – Unfortunately, many people aren’t aware of their current state of consciousness or what even defines consciousness. You may not even be consciously aware of the many diverse possible states of consciousness due to the fact that you may have only experienced one primary state of functioning throughout your lifetime. If you are a person who hasn’t experienced other states or most importantly cannot seem to understand your own state, you are definitely missing out some important aspects and understandings of conscious perception.
36. Set a positive example for others – Setting a positive example for others can pertain to any area of life and is highly encouraged. Setting a healthy, positive example for others to follow spreads a direct positive image into the lives and minds of others. Trying to consciously set a good example for others, will further raise your consciousness. Setting a bad example, or unconscious example, will slow, halt, or reverse your current conscious development.
37. Guide others interested in raising their consciousness – There are many ways to aid others in the process of raising their awareness, especially if you are a more consciously advanced individual. Chances are good that you’ll need to do some personal work with raising your own consciousness before you can put yourself in an effective position to help others raise their consciousness. What you may want to do, though, is encourage others to practice some items in this article or others on 4 Mind 4 Life dot com.
38. Share your unique insight and wisdom – Everyone has a different perspective based on their personal experience, purpose, and personality. Therefore, each individual has a unique form of insight that they can share with others. There are endless ways and opportunities for you to express and share your knowledge with others. All that you need to do is take action towards finding a medium most effective for allowing you to share your insight.
39. Gain wisdom from others – No single person holds all the wisdom of the universe in their brain. For this reason, it is important to study the wisdom of others and try to apply their wisdom to your life. As mentioned earlier, everyone has a unique perspective and knowledge-base to bring to the table. Studying the wisdom of others can be done in many ways. Examples include: meeting face-to-face with a more consciously advanced individual and ask them for life advice, reading positivity and personal development websites from several different sources, or maybe attending different personal development seminars.
40. Keep your ego in check – The more aware you are of your ego, the easier it is to become more conscious. With that said, as your awareness increases, so does your state of consciousness. The reverse also applies: as your consciousness increases, so does your awareness. Letting our ego get out of control and take the driver’s seat in our consciousness has potential to quickly lower our state of functioning. Taking full control and responsibility to keep your ego in check when faced with adversity will allow you to consciously advance in a much healthier manner.
41. Practice personal development – Taking action to better your life through the concept of personal development is an extremely effective way to make yourself a more conscious human being. Think of personal development as the act of upgrading every area of your life to function at the highest possible level: health, finances, relationships, etc. Virtually all aspects of personal development lead to greater conscious development in one way or another.
42. Shift your conscious focus – Being preoccupied with thoughts of past events and of the future has potential to lead your consciousness in the wrong direction. Focusing your attention on this exact moment (commonly referred to as “the now”), however, is a great way to raise your level of awareness. By learning techniques that allow you to shift your awareness to this exact moment, you can work wonders in the process of conscious advancement.
43. Be energetic – Being energetic can be very powerful for advancing your state of consciousness and for inspiring others to become more consciously advanced. Your body can become energized and your brain can become energized. When both are operating in at maximum intensity and energy, you are said to be in a state of peak conscious performance.
44. Make healthy dietary changes – Making healthy dietary changes means searching to find the best possible diet to fit your mental needs, physical needs, spiritual needs; to fit yourneeds. Are you fully conscious of what you are consuming? In order to boost your own level of consciousness, it is important to be fully aware of the food in which you are consuming in your diet and to be respectful and accepting of the diets of other individuals without making negative judgments.
45. Accept others for who they are – As mentioned above in being conscious of what you eat, it is important to be accepting of the diets that others choose to use. Whether they make a conscious decision to have an unhealthy diet or unconscious decision, accept their actions. Accepting others can apply to every area of life. No matter if you disagree with another person’s actions, disagree with their personality, or disagree with their perception of life, it is important to accept them for who they are and not try to force changes upon them. Settle your disagreements with other individuals by purely accepting them for who they are.
46. Accept and love yourself for who are – Life’s journey becomes much easier and significantly enriched if you can learn to accept yourself for who you are. Depending on your current state of consciousness, it may be difficult to love and accept who you are. Take the time to count your blessings, be accepting of yourself and your level of consciousness. Realize that at this current moment you are doing the best that you know how to do in order to advance consciously.
47. Understand your own thought process – An extremely effective way to become more conscious is to take note of your thought process and understand it to the best of your ability. I’ve seen many people run themselves in mental circles due to an ineffective understanding of their own thought process. Being consciously aware of your thoughts and why you are thinking them is a key step towards creating an accurate understanding of your reality.
48. Bless everything that happens – There are times throughout life when amazing things happen to us and other times when upsetting events take place. Just like accepting who you are is a great habit to get into, you should also learn to bless everything that happens in your life. No matter how bad an event, it has potential to make a positive impact on your life in the long run. Your ability to bless and appreciate, even what may be initially perceived as a worst case scenario, will ultimately provide you great conscious satisfaction.
49. Take time for internal reflection – In my opinion, taking time for internal reflection is the single most effective way to learn more about yourself and your current state of consciousness. Internal reflection will certainly help you better understand your thoughts, emotions, spirituality, and provide clarity in your current life situation. If you don’t currently take time to internally reflect, you could very well start up a 20 minute meditation routine each morning and observe the difference it quickly makes in your state of consciousness.
50. Focus on advancing consciously – In the process of conscious development, it’s important to focus exactly on what you are trying to accomplish: the act of becoming more conscious. During this process, it is important to tune out all unhealthy distractions such as: negative relationships, abuse, fighting, illicit drugs, etc. If you allow yourself to become distracted with unhealthy, unconscious habits, then act of advancing consciously will become a much more difficult or slower process than normal.
51. Be aware of your breathing – Being aware of your breathing means being fully conscious of your breathing pattern. Being aware of how you are breathing is important. Unfortunately, many people are unaware that there is actually a proper way to breathe. A way of breathing that is optimal for your body and brain. Proper breathing involves inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth upon every breath. The process of becoming more aware of my breathing through exercises like meditation and conscious breathing have significantlyhelped me increase my overall level of focus, emotional stability, and level of consciousness.
52. Spend more time with yourself – In the fast-paced lifestyle of the 21st century, it is very common for people to spend time with others, yet never take personal time to spend with themselves and focus on their own life. If you are an individual who is currently not taking enough time for yourself each day, try starting up a personal routine. Examples of ways that you could spend time with yourself, contributing positively to your own life include: taking time for internal reflection (meditation), letting yourself know how much you love yourself, going on a walk to listen to your own thoughts, giving gratitude for everything that you have in your life, or getting involved in a hobby that inspires you.
53. Listen more often than you speak – In this day in age, it seems as though there is always someone that wants to be the center of attention; conversations easily become viewed as egoistic competitions. While being the center of attention can feel great and can be a rewarding experience, it can become consciously dangerous to your consciousness if it is motivated by your ego. By practicing the act of listening more often than you speak, you can train yourself to be more consciously aware of others, while still holding the conscious ability to politely contribute to a conversation.
54. Muster up some courage – Being highly conscious means doing what you want to do, saying what you want to say, and living how you want to live at every moment. Somewhere along the path towards developing a highly conscious mindset, you will need to be courageous. Developing a sense of courage is an integral step, possibly a phase that may last several years, on your journey to become more conscious.
55. Always act with compassion – Having complete compassion for others is a direct result of becoming more conscious. Unfortunately, there are few people here on Earth that are honestly able to make the claim that they always act with complete compassion for others. Compassion meditation also allows you to learn how to shift your mental focus from any state into a perspective of pure love for others. As you may have already guessed, practicing compassion can be one of the single most powerful exercises for boosting your level of consciousness.
56. Improve your mental focus – Improving our mental focus helps us get a better understanding of reality and provides us with more inner clarity. As we enhance our level of focus and clarity, concepts that had previously seemed very difficult to understand become general knowledge. We get a better sense of understanding within ourselves and of the world around us. As your level of focus increases, so will your level of consciousness.
57. Think rationally and logically – Being able to think rationally and logically allows you to positively interact with your reality much easier than being irrational and illogical. In fact, being irrational and illogical will actually lower your current level of awareness. Rational thinking is a byproduct of a high functioning brain, particularly the high activity within your left-prefrontal cortex. One great way to increase your ability to rationalize is to strengthen your brain’s level of functioning by boosting your brain power.
58. Purify your body – One great way to become more conscious is to purify your body. You can help purify your body by going on a specific diet, by cutting certain substances from your diet, by decreasing stress and learning to deeply relax, by cutting certain substances from your diet, by sitting in a sauna to sweat out toxins, etc. While following a detox routine, be conscious of what you are doing to your body. Be fully aware that you should choose a detox routine that has been researched and proven effective in order to avoid risking bodily damage in the process. With that said, choosing to purify or cleanse your body can really work magic for your current level of consciousness.
59. Start a personal journal – Starting a personal journal or blog is a great time investment that will allow yourself to become more conscious of your: thoughts, feelings, actions, philosophies, beliefs, etc. Writing entries in a daily journal or on a personal blog can be extremely helpful in the process of understanding your current state of awareness. What is nice about keeping tabs on yourself is the fact that you can watch your progress as you undertake a conscious journey. No matter your strategy for keeping a journal, understand that keeping tabs on yourself and events in your life serves as a great way to develop a deeper sense of understanding, knowledge, and conscious awareness.
60. Make others laugh – Being funny and making others laugh is a great way to ease stress and create a more positive outlook in life for yourself and for others. Though you may not be an expert comedian, being able to make others laugh is extremely rewarding and satisfying. Making others laugh and smile shifts all attention away from pain and negative emotions, towards one of pure enjoyment and happiness. Jokes and the ability to laugh can really change your entire perspective from what may seem like a grim, serious situation, to a happier, more positive outlook.
61. Practice a religion – Practicing a religion is a phenomenal way to become a more conscious person. As you raise your current level of awareness, you will discover that there is really no best religion or Utopian religion to practice. What matters most in conscious advancement is getting a feel for what practices actually make you become more consciously aware. You need to personally determine what works best for you. One of the best ways to do this is via experimenting with many different religions.
62. Respect the beliefs of others – At no time is it loving or respectful to criticize the beliefs of others. No matter how consciously advanced another person is or isn’t, it is important to respect their thoughts and actions. When you try to force others to adopt your lifestyle, beliefs, and force them to become a more conscious human-being, you are indirectly expressing negative emotion towards that individual; you are getting your ego heavily involved. Forcing others to consciously change is not truly accepting them for who they are. If you feel like you should force others to raise their awareness, perhaps you need to raise your awareness some more! It is important to realize that everyone will have their time to advance consciously and will eventually reach the “top of the mountain” on their journey to their higher consciousness.
63. Ask questions about your life – Attempting to learn more about life each day is a great way to increase your overall knowledge base and a great way to become a more conscious person. Nobody “knows-it-all” in life, that’s why asking questions about life and about certain situations in life, will really help you out on your journey. The idea here is to learn as much about life as possible. This will allow you to make your lifestyle more conscious, your choices more conscious, your actions more conscious, and yourself a more knowledgeable person. If you don’t feel like asking others questions, a great way to learn more about life is to ask yourself internal questions. Often times we don’t realize that within ourselves, we hold the answer to every question about our life. Meditation is highly recommended as an exercise for learning more about our inner-self.
64. Understand that everything changes – Whether you realize it or not, everything and everyone is in a constant state of change. Change is undeniable and is happening to yourself and others as you are reading this. There is no way to prevent change, but there is a way to consciously control your change. Be the change that you want to see on this Earth and please: make it a positive, conscious one!
65. Realize that you are not alone – On your journey towards becoming a more conscious human being, it is important to realize that you are never alone in the process. Someone, somewhere is going through the same process and many have already gone through the process. There are likely many individuals that are more consciously advanced than you are: which is a good thing. Look to these individuals for guidance along the way. We can always look to more conscious individuals for personal guidance and advice in life.
66. Push your personal limits – Pushing your personal limits to become the best person that you can be is something that everyone should strive for. Pushing your personal limits is something that you can do in every area of your life: relationships, exercise, consciousness, spirituality, finances, etc. Pushing your personal limits in the areas that you feel most soulfully-connected with are the areas that you should probably put the most work into in order to feel the greatest sense of fulfillment.
67. Invest in yourself – When you make money, do you invest it in stocks? Have you ever thought of investing it in yourself – your purpose, vision, values, and goals? Besides money, we can also invest time in ourselves. In my opinion, investing time in yourself is one of the most effective ways to become more conscious. Investing time in yourself will allow you to discover your true purpose and become a more conscious human being.
68. Be open to exploring consciousness – There are many ways to be open to exploring your consciousness. Several methods to explore your consciousness include: brainwave entrainment, meditation, raising your consciousness, trying new activities, exploring spirituality, exploring different social groups, changing your environment (by traveling), trying neurofeedback, etc. If you don’t know of any healthy ways to expand your consciousness, start with the ones that I’ve listed. No need to unnecessarily kill your brain cells and lower your consciousness by using illicit drugs to “expand your mind…”
69. Develop a deep relationship – Developing deep, trustworthy relationships with other people are not only great for helping you to become more conscious, they are a great way to share love and joy with others. If you haven’t already done so, develop a deep, personal relationship with at least one individual. It could be a good friend, spouse, boyfriend / girlfriend, it could be a good therapist, it could be anyone that you feel is on-the-same-page as you in life, or at the same level of consciousness. Having another person to discuss your personal inner-thoughts with and share your turmoil, joy, and all other emotions with, will actually make you a happier, more conscious person.
70. Call upon your spirit guides – Everyone has spirit guides – whether they believe in them and want to communicate with them or not. Before we are born, we are assigned spirit guides to do just what their name implies: guide our spirit. They can often provide us with valuable advice and some forms of intuitive connection that most of us never imagined was possible. The best way to connect with them is to learn proper meditation. The job of spirit guides are to help guide your spirit in the right direction and they really want to connect with you to help you raise your consciousness. So consider learning ways to connect with them on a personal level, or finding an advanced spiritual seeker / psychic that knows about spirit guides and how to connect with them. It seems as though Erin Pavlina has gotten great reviews discussing her ability to help you connect with your guides. Though her readings are somewhat expensive, getting one could prove to be a great investment in order to accelerate your personal growth and conscious development.
71. Clear emotional blocks – Nearly everyone has some form of subconscious emotional blocks that they have suppressed within their subconscious. Emotional blocks can develop in childhood and can be forgotten by the time a person reaches adulthood. They can drain your conscious control over life if you don’t learn to properly release them. It is not advised to attempt to deal with very powerful emotional blocks or repressed traumatic memories by yourself. Consult a trained therapist or psychologist to help you work through your past powerful emotion. Realize that when you are able to work through your past emotional blocks, you naturally allow yourself to reach a higher state of consciousness.
72. Clear out subconscious “cobwebs” – What exactly are subconscious “cobwebs?” I refer to subconscious cobwebs as any unfulfilling: beliefs and emotions that have been carried around in your subconscious mind for too long. Many times, our subconscious mind is carrying around extra negative emotional baggage and limiting beliefs that need to be released or replaced. If you want to clear out your subconscious “cobwebs” and take conscious control of your subconscious mind, consider trying meditation. Meditation takes your consciousness to a deeper level and makes reprogramming your mind a much easier process.
73. Turn off the T.V. – Depending on your current level of consciousness, watching T.V. may actually be a good thing. For those individuals operating at an extremely low level of functioning, watching T.V. gives them hope, satisfaction, and a boost in consciousness. With that said, to permanently elevate your consciousness, it is recommended to refrain from watching T.V. If you think about the act of watching T.V., it doesn’t reflect your life’s purpose nor allow you to be fully productive. The time that you currently spend watching T.V. could be put to better use by allowing you to accomplish a personal goal, providing you with extra time for exercise, or even giving you time to boost your brain power!
74. Read a good book – Whether you enjoy reading fiction or non-fiction books (or both), reading books is a phenomenal way to help you boost your conscious brain power. Reading books provides you with knowledge, creativity, and allows you to fully expand your intellect. Reading books will also help you become a smarter person, with a mind that is full of new thoughts and ideas. The more credible information that you are able to read, the more information and knowledge your consciousness has to consciously create with.
75. Expand your creativity – There are many ways for us to expand our creativity and abilities to creatively think. Developing ways to creatively think not only boosts brain power, it boosts your consciousness. The use of brainstorming, creative visualization, Zen koans, and meditation have all been known to increase creative thinking skills. Creativity is an important trait to develop when dealing with your reality. Having creativity allows your mind to easily solve even the most difficult of problems. If your creative-side is currently lacking, think of ways to step-it-up a notch to reap the conscious benefits!
76. Develop strong people-skills – Developing strong people-skills will allow you to become more conscious in many different ways. Having strong people skills allows you to be comfortable expressing who you really are in any social situation. Without developing strong people skills, you may be stuck in a state of fear around others in social settings or even worse, you may feel completely uncomfortable expressing your true beliefs, values, and discussing your lifestyle in front of others. Cultivating a strong set of people-skills will allow you to become a more conscious individual and will allow you to share your love with others.
77. Allow yourself to be inspired – Allowing yourself to be inspired helps you to take passionate action. In order for us to be inspired, we usually need to have some sort of emotional connection. Maybe you are deeply inspired by a song that you recently heard on the radio, maybe you are inspired by Barack Obama, maybe you are inspired by Hilary Clinton, maybe you find Pablo Picasso’s artwork inspiring. Everyone is different and everyone is uniquely inspired by different things here on Earth. Inspiration can really work magic in your life if you let it. Taking actions based off of positive inspiration will ultimately guide your consciousness to a higher level of functioning.
78. Be courteous towards others – Being courteous to others is a great way to share love, positivity, and a great way to set a good example for others. Each time that you set an example, you have some influence onto others. Each time that you practice a healthy habit or put courteous actions on display for others to see, they will be much more inclined to follow suit. When you are able to be courteous to everyone that you meet, you are raising your consciousness through compassion.
79. Attend a spiritual retreat – There are many spiritual retreats and spiritual opportunities that can quickly boost your state of consciousness. Meditation retreats and gatherings with your religious group are two of many ways to raise your consciousness. The act of going to church is yet another form of attending a spiritual gathering. Going to an event like a Holosync retreat may also be a great way to connect with a fun, positive group of individuals that could prove to be lifelong friends. You will never truly know nor understand the possibilities of conscious transformation that a retreat has to offer until you actually make it a point to attend.
80. Form a mastermind group – Forming a mastermind group is a great way to help you become more conscious and complete your goals. To participate in a mastermind group, you must first gather up some trustworthy friends. Next, schedule times that your entire group will meet to discuss personal challenges, goals, accomplishments, etc. Meet with each other and discuss your goals. Be as positive and encouraging towards one another as possible. Offer suggestions and serve as a motivation for the rest of your group. Mastermind groups are a form of conscious, positive support that allows you to accomplish your goals much easier. And, social support (i.e. a positive group of friends) is always great to have when working to become more conscious. Do whatever you want with your group, have fun, be positive, and realize that you are raising your consciousness in the process!
81. Be a mediator – There are many situations that arise from negativity in this world. One way to break up these situations in a peaceful manner is to be a mediator. A mediator is a person that is able to resolve conflict between two parties and think of a peaceful solution to a problem that both conflicting parties agree upon. In the end, the best part about a mediation process is the satisfaction that you can derive from helping bring peace to the world. Helping others is a great way to create a true sense of happiness in your life. Anytime that you bring peace, the collective consciousness of humanity takes a step in a positive direction.
82. Build an accurate model of reality – Building an accurate model of reality is a great way to explore the endless possibilities that life has to offer. Gaining conscious control of your thoughts will aid you in the process of creating your reality. When you are able to take control of your focus, building an accurate model of reality becomes an easier task.
83. Be a leader – Being a positive leader is an awesome way to raise your level of consciousness and that of others. If you are able to become a leader who is able to influence large groups of people in a positive manner, you will naturally develop a lot of conscious power. Each person that supports your message, adds to your ability to share your purpose. If you haven’t thought about stepping up and becoming a leader in some way, now is the best time to start thinking about it!
84. Travel the world – Traveling the world most definitely has potential to change and expand your state of awareness. As you travel to different places, you are able to learn about unique: ways of life, ways of thinking, religions, customs, values, etc. This is why it is extremely common for huge changes in perception to occur. Traveling to many different parts of the world is one way of exploration that allows you to experience life on a larger scale.
85. Be empathetic – Advanced empathetic abilities can be cultivated by accessing the lower brainwave states: both the theta and delta brainwaves. Making a conscious effort to become a more empathetic person means trying to understand and relate to others and their emotions in as an effective method as possible. Being empathetic is a great way to spread love and compassion in the world. And spreading love and compassion are great ways to help you become a more conscious person!
86. Set goals and accomplish them – Setting positive goals and working to accomplish them is one of the single most effective ways to advance consciously, without even having the intention to advance consciously. For example: you may set the goal to exercise everyday for one month in order to improve your health. By setting and completing a goal like this, your main focus is improving your health, however, you are also indirectly improving your consciousness.
87. Try brainwave entrainment – Though brainwave entrainment seems like a new-agey, experimental technique, it is a great tool for advancing consciously that actually works. Not only does brainwave entrainment work well, it is an extremely effective way to develop a powerful brain and advanced state of consciousness. By practicing brainwave entrainment, your brain becomes more flexible in the process of shifting to various brainwave states. You can always give brainwave entrainment a trial and evaluate how effective it is at helping you advance consciously! Check out the software featured in my recommended products sectionand give one of those a trial run.
88. Try self-hypnosis – What many people do not realize is that the act of self-hypnosis is very helpful for achieving states of complete, controlled relaxation. During self-hypnosis you develop full, complete control of the beliefs that are implanted in your subconscious mind. Self-hypnosis relaxes your body and takes you into a state of highly-focused, deep relaxation. No matter whether you enjoy self-hypnosis or meditation more, they are both exercises that will allow you to elevate your consciousness. Give self-hypnosis a shot if you haven’t already – it is a perfectly safe, exercise that will benefit your consciousness greatly!
89. Develop your chakras – Learning to clear and cleanse your chakras could prove to be one of the single best investments that you’ve ever made for yourself. Chakras hold the key allowing you to tap into your higher-self and connect with energy from the Universe. Working directly with your chakras will help you become a more conscious person, making you more aware of your body’s energy centers and how they can affect your entire life.
90. Release your Kundalini energy – My definition of Kundalini: a (usually latent) energy force that is coiled at the base of our spine. We’ve all felt Kundalini from time to time during extremely emotional moments, when a certain song plays, or when we have a powerful experience. What does Kundalini feel like? Kundalini the energy that makes our spine tingle. We get goosebumps throughout our body and our entire spine tingles with emotional energy. Kundalini is a completely healthy and powerful method to advance consciously. It is notrecommended to go into a Kundalini experience blindly, though. Do some research on “Kundalini energy” and consider working with a guru or a person who has been through the entire process if you hope to release your Kundalini energy.
91. Appreciate your surroundings – To further allow yourself to develop consciously, it is important to be appreciative and thankful for everything in your environment. Each day and every day, the little things that we may be taking for granted are often some of the most amazing forms of beauty. Simple things like the sunset, a field of flowers, or the face of our neighbors are all beautiful expressions that we may not be taking the time to appreciate. When we are able to realize that everything is connected and that we were truly meant to love and appreciate one-another, we naturally become inherently grateful for our surroundings and what the Earth has to offer – and thus, more conscious.
92. Bring new life to Earth – Each time that you are able to make a contribution to life here on Earth, you bring forth another brilliant expression of our universe. Each time that you bring human life, plant life, animal life, etc. here on Earth, it is something to be truly proud of. Ways that you could contribute to bringing life to this planet include: raising children, adopting a child, planting a flower, or raising an animal. The inner feelings that you may feel as a result of bringing forth new life are perfect for finding true happiness and taking yourself to the next conscious level.
93. Lead a flexible life – Flexibility is a key part of gymnastics… it also is a key part of life andthe process of becoming more conscious as a human being. Leading an overly-structured life often becomes overwhelming and unpleasurable. You need to take time to appreciate the moments of spontaneity and spur-of-the-moment type events. Being flexible is a great attribute to cultivate in your life. Though learning to be flexible is just a small habit that will make you more conscious (by opening up your life to new opportunities), it is a highlyimportant principle to implement into your life and reality.
94. Learn from “consciously advanced” individuals – More consciously advanced people have a lot to offer those who are less consciously advanced. They often provide us with great discoveries, insights, and guide our lives in a positive direction. If you happen to know someone that is at a higher cognitive level of functioning than yourself, spend some time with that individual. Ask them questions about their life, questions about your life, or any questions about life in general. See how these individuals feel about raising consciousness and how they can help you work to increase your conscious awareness.
95. Live a well-balanced life – Keeping a balanced life can be very difficult at times. However, keeping activities in proper balance is a great way to become more aware and involved in many areas of life. Make a conscious effort to focus your energy towards what inspires you most, but don’t forget to be flexible and take time for important people and activities like: friends, family, expression, and exercise. Being well-balanced with activities in life provides us with greater conscious satisfaction.
96. Consider taking health supplements – Supplements have long been known to help aid in mental processing and boost physical functioning. I personally have taken a multivitamin in combination with 3.6 grams of fish oil on a daily basis for almost 2 years straight. Overall, I feel that the combination has worked phenomenal for helping my physical functioning and mental processing. Always be open minded: consider taking supplements if you aren’t already. Do a personal experiment to see what supplements work best for you and how various supplements affect your consciousness. In the end, you may decide that all supplements are ineffective and that they were nothing more than placebos.
97. Celebrate your accomplishments – Celebrating your accomplishments is a form of self-praise and self-respect. When you value yourself and appreciate yourself, you are likely to celebrate your accomplishments – and actually have accomplishments to celebrate! Celebrating is a fun and rewarding activity to do to make yourself happier. It increases your levels of overall self-love and respect: both of which are key factors in the process of raising your consciousness.
98. Always have positive intentions – Positive intentions often arise from having a positive mindset. Having a positive mindset and forming the habit of holding good intentions is a great way to boost your level of conscious awareness. When you intend for positive events to happen in your life and always have positive expectations – your life will naturally attract positive people and will result in happiness.
99. Read and recommend 4 Mind 4 Life dot com to others – Remind yourself of ways to become more conscious by re-reading this series and other articles here at 4 Mind 4 Life dot com. I always try to provide you with the most valuable advice to help you boost your level of consciousness. Though the main focus of this website is boosting brain power, your level of consciousness goes hand-in-hand with how powerful your brain is; the more powerful your brain, the easier time in raising your consciousness you will have. I can only promote my message to a certain extent. Each time that you help me by recommending my website or this series to another person, you will be helping guide others towards positive change. I send blessings to everyone who reads this series, recommends this series, recommends this website, or applies advice from this website to better themselves.
100. [This space is intentionally left blank for you to fill in] – Nobody knows and understands what works best to help your consciousness better than you! Be creative, fill in the last blank already! Choose an activity that you enjoy that renews your sense of wellbeing and resonates congruently with your soul. Blessings to everyone that made it this far down the list!
Postures Influence the Mind
Psychological research suggests simple actions and postures can project power, persuade others, increase empathy, boost cognitive performance and more.
We tend to think of body language as something that expresses our internal states to the outside world. But it also works the other way around: the position of our body also influences our mind.
As the following psychological research shows, how we move can drive both thoughts and feelings and this can boost performance.
Simple Postures That Boost Performance
1. Pose for Power
If you want to feel more powerful then adopt a powerful posture. Carney et al. (2010) found that when people stood or sat in powerful poses for one minute—those involving open limbs and expansive gestures—they not only felt more powerful but had increased levels of testosterone flooding their systems. Powerful poses take up more space, so spread your body and open up the arms or legs. When you dominate the space, your mind gets the message.
2. Tense up for Willpower
Tensing up your muscles can help increase your willpower. In a series of 5 studies Hung and Labroo (2011) found that when people firmed up their muscles they were better able to withstand pain, resist tempting food, take an unpleasant medicine and pay attention to disturbing information. So, if you need to increase your willpower, tense your muscles. It should help.
3. Cross Arms for Persistence
If you’re stuck on a problem which needs persistence then try crossing your arms. Friedman and Elliot (2008) had participants do just that and found they worked longer at a set of difficult anagrams. In fact about twice as long. Their persistence led to more correct solutions.
4. Lie Down for Insight
If crossing your arms doesn’t work then try lying down. When Lipnicki and Byrne (2005) had anagram solvers lying down, they solved them faster. Since anagrams are a type of insight problem, lying down may help you reach creative solutions.
5. Nap for Cognitive Performance
While you’re lying down, why not have a nap? Napping is an art-form though. Nap too long and you’ll suffer from sleep inertia: the feeling of being drowsy for an extended period. Nap too little and there’s no point. Where’s the sweet spot?
Brooks & Lack (2005) compared 5, 10, 20 and 30 minute naps to find the best length. For increased cognitive performance, vigour and wakefulness, the best naps were 10 minutes long. Benefits were seen immediately after 10 minute naps but after longer naps it took longer to wake up. Five minute naps only provided half the benefit, but were better than nothing.
6. Gesture for Persuasion
The way people’s hands cut through the air while they talk is fascinating. But it’s more than just a by-product of communication. Maricchiolo et al. (2008) found that hand-gestures help increase the power of a persuasive message when compared to no use of gesture. Most effective are gestures which make what you are saying more understandable. For example, when referring to the past, point behind you.
7. … and Gesture for Understanding
Gestures aren’t only helpful for persuading others, they also help us think. In a study of children, Cook et al. (2007) found that children who were encouraged to gesture while learning, retained more of what they learnt. Moving our hands may help us learn; more generally we actually seem to think with our hands.
8. Smile for Happiness
The very act of smiling can make you feel happy, whether it’s justified or not. Strack et al. (1988) had participants holding pens in their mouths either so that it activated the muscles responsible for smiling, or not. Those whose smiling muscles were activated rated cartoons as funnier than others whose smiling muscles weren’t activated by the pen in their mouth. So, forcing a smile really does make us see the world in a better light.
9. Mimic to Empathize
If you want to get inside someone’s head, you can try copying their behaviour. Those who are good at empathising do it automatically: copying accent, posture, expressions and so on. If you can copy it, you will feel it yourself and then you’ll get a hint of what others are feeling. It’s what actors have known for years: mimicry is a great way of simulating others’ emotional states.
10. Imitate to Comprehend
The idea that copying helps us understand others works for thought as well as emotion. In an experiment by Adank (2010), participants found it easier to decipher an unfamiliar accent if they tried to imitate it themselves. Some psychologists go further, claiming that imitating others helps us predict what they are going to do (e.g. Pickering & Garrod, 2007).
Many of these studies support a theory about human life (and indeed all life) called ‘embodied cognition’. The idea is that we don’t just think with our minds, we also think with our bodies. Our mind isn’t a brain in a jar, it is connected to a body which moves around in an environment.
As life becomes increasingly virtual, played out on screens of varying sizes, we need reminding that the connection between mind and body is two-way. Human intelligence is more than abstract processing power; it’s about the interaction between mind, body and the world around us.
For Wake Up World
Yoga and Vegetrarianism
YOGA AND VEGETARIANISM – Ayurveda classifies food not as proteins or carbohydrates etc. but according to its effect on the body and mind. It classifies food based on three qualities or gunas that governs human life – sattva, rajas and tamas.
Tamasic food creates lethargy or sluggishness ex- meat
Rajasic food creates activity or restlessness
Sattvic food, which consists of vegetarian fare, creates lightness, energy and positivity
These three qualities are present in our body in varying degree and have a direct influence on us, our moods, emotions and consequent health. There is an ancient Ayurvedic proverb which sums it up- “When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.”
Yoga says that our system is a seamless blend of the body, mind and spirit. An irregularity in the body affects the mind and unpleasantness in the mind manifests as an ailment in the body. It has been observed that the practice of yoga, accompanied with a sattvic diet, can truly create wonders. This is because when one does Yoga, pranayama (breathing techniques), and complements it with sattvic food, the prana levels in the body increase. This creates a lighter, positive, happy and harmonious state of being. In fact, many yoga practitioners have experienced that one of the major impacts of yoga is an increased awareness of their body and mind. This allows for their natural progression towards sattvic high-prana generating food choices. It is almost as though the body desires to return to its innate mechanism which is attuned to a vegetarian diet . in the patanjali yogsutra there is limb called niyama – Ahimsa (Harmlessness) The word ‘ahimsa’ literally means not to injure or show cruelty to any creature or any person
In Yoga tradition, we call the different organisms one as Jeevaraasi. It means a single life in different dimensions with its own life energies. The food that you eat, should be from the earlier evolutions of life. And so which plants are the best always. If you want to eat meat, we suggest you fish foods because they are the early dimensions of organisms with flesh. In this evolution, the closest on to the humans are mammals (that gives direct birth).Of all the organisms, human body is the most complicated. In the course of evolution, the structure of memory becomes more detailed. If you eat animals that has the similar body structure as yours, you would find almost impossible to completely digest the food. But in case of plants you can digest it 100 percent. This is because it leave all its remembrance and imposes your own.
Source: Facebook — Yoga-Philosophy
Levels Of Consciousness
Consciousness has been defined as many things to many people, but there can never be one encompassing definition to what it really is. However, there are several factual components that assist in its definition and allow us to assess our own level of consciousness. What level are you at?
Before reading this list, it’s important to understand that every person is at the level they are supposed to be. The is no good level or bad level, inferior level or superior level. The following is only a guideline and whether you reside in force or power, you are learning the lessons you have come for:
It is merely a representation of the awakening process. For the first time there is a large scale awakening on our planet. Why now? Because if there is no change in human consciousness now, we will destroy ourselves and perhaps the planet. The insanity of the collective egoic mind, amplified by science and technology, is rapidly taking our species to the brink of disaster. There is probably enough of a critical mass right now to bring about a new earth. So the transformation of consciousness is truly happening even though they won’t be reporting it on tonight’s news. Is it happening fast enough? Here are some of the levels of consciousness many are still going through.
LEVEL OF CONSCIOUSNESS
Each level of consciousness (LOC) coincides with determinable human behaviors and perceptions about life and God. Each level represents a corresponding attractor field of varying strength that exists beyond our three-dimensional reality. There’s a critical point within each LOC from which its field gravitates (or entrains).
The numbers on the scale represent logarithmic calibrations (measurable vibratory frequencies on a scale which increases to the tenth power) of the levels of human consciousness and its corresponding level of reality. The numbers themselves are arbitrary; the significance lies in the relationship of one number (or level) to another (e.g., Dr. Hawkins’ scale is from 1 to 1000; a similar scale could be devised from 1 to 10 where 2 is courage and 5 is love).
Dr. Hawkins points out that the two greatest spiritual growth barriers seem to be at level 200 and 500. Two hundred, the level of courage, represents a profound shift from destructive and harmful behavior to life-promoting and integrous lifestyles; everything below 200 makes one go weak using kinesiology. Currently, approximately 78% of the world’s population is below this significant level. The destructive capacity of this majority would annihilate mankind without the counterbalancing effect of the 22% above 200. Because the scale of consciousness is logarithmic, each incremental point represents a giant leap in power. As such, one person calibrated at 600 counterbalances the negativity of 10 million people below 200.
The second great barrier is level 500–Love. Love in this context is a way of being in the world–not an emotionality as most of us perceive it. According to Dr. Hawkins, the reason the level of love is so difficult to achieve is because our ego is so rooted in the physical domain as opposed to the spiritual domain, which emerges at 500. The 400s represent the level of reason, guided by the linear, mechanistic world of form (our modern society that includes advancements in medicine, science, government, etc). Interestingly, the top echelon of intellectual genius, including Einstein, Freud, Newton, Aristotle, etc., all calibrated around 499. The 500s represent a very difficult hurdle as only four percent of the world’s population calibrates in the 500s. This level denotes a shift from the linear, provable domain (classic physics or Newtonian physics) to the nonlinear, formless, spiritual realm.
It is important to understand that no level is better or worse than another. There are no opposites. The Map of the Levels of Consciousness represents a gradation of consciousness–degrees of the experience of Reality, the existence of God, and the level of lovingness that is present. The 500s (love) are not “better” than the 400s (reason); they simply represent another gradation (and a higher level of truth) on an infinitely growing scale.
A person’s LOC remains rather steady through the lifetime. Emotions come and go like the passing wind, but a person’s calibratable LOC is governed by specific energy fields in the nonlinear domain which generally doesn’t waver. Over the course of a lifetime, the average person’s LOC will change approximately five points (this is not a statistical derivation, but an average discovered through Dr. Hawkins’ kinesiologic research). However, it is possible for an individual (such as a spiritual aspirant) to have their LOC jump (or drop) hundreds of points in a single lifetime.
Josh Richardson is blogger, healer, and a constant pursuer of the natural state of human consciousness.
Why It’s Imperative To Release Judgements Based On Dietary Preference
The Coming Wave of Consciousness: Why It’s Imperative To Release Judgements Based On Dietary Preference
Whether you choose raw, vegan, vegetarian, fishitarian, paleo, processed or any other dietary lifestyle, it’s time to release judgement on what others choose to eat. Is any one of these methods superior to another for every person on the planet? Absolutely not, because all of them can cause health problems if there is no awareness of how we are transferring energy between our food and ourselves.
I’ve witnessed so much animosity between different groups who insist their version of sustenance is the correct one to prevent disease. They only share one commonality. They all think they are right. However, there is not one universally correct way to prevent disease in pursuing your truth about your health, especially relating to your diet. It’s time to move on from the path of antagonism, rebellion and even hatred for the choices others make about the foods they consume.
When people eat healthy it becomes difficult for them to observe the unhealthy choices others make. They assume that because they have informed themselves on the path of what they interpret as responsible dietary habits, that all others should do the same. It’s doesn’t quite work that way.
Dietary Decisions Often Lead To Our Judgement of Others
The most interesting conversations I’ve had are with vegans who feel it is wrong to consume an animal. They often have a misinterpretation of what energy transfer is, especially when they realize that consuming a plant (considered a lower form of consciousness) is really no different than consuming an animal. Plants exhibits many of the same senses as animals, including sight, touch, smell, taste and even hearing. It is only perspective that enforces a principle and boundary that many vegans refuse to cross.
All forms of predation exist on planet Earth and whether you consume plants or animals, you are still pursing a biological interaction for an exchange of energy. Many of the animals on our planet are predatory because we are. Planet Earth would not inhabit lifeforms of predatory nature if its dominant lifeforms were not predatory themselves. It is the cycle of life here. We do not live in world of symbiosis…not yet anyway. Until that time, we must be predatory in some respects to exchange energy through our creation.
For many animals, their experience is not what we think it is. They have agreed to experience a life where they know ultimately that they will be consumed. They understand that they are eternal beings and are deeply connected to collective consciousness relating to their kind of expression. When we understand this perspective, there is no need to isolate ourselves to any one specific diet for any reason.
When we ignore our body consciousness and its needs, we are ignoring more than our basic needs. We are ignoring the energy necessary to allow our health to prosper. There are many vegans that fail to fully grasp this concept and suffer the health consequences after a decade or more of consuming only plants. Their health then deteriorates because they are still in an apprenticeship state that requires a certain form of sustenance. There is nothing wrong with that, but to them, they feel they are violating a specific boundary. It’s all how we perceive this relationship with our biological interactions that makes the difference. That doesn’t mean all vegans will have health problems, but the ones who do are often those who need to revert back to energy transfers involving animals.
It’s about being in gratitude and appreciation for the exchange of energy that is given to you. For example, I know of many vegans who converted back to consuming meat because of deteriorating health. They now consume organic, grass fed and pasture raised meat from farms who care for their animals and have reputable slaughtering practices. These former vegans are now thriving. They have accepted a relationship with these animals that they are comfortable with and the exchange of energy is one conducive to their body consciousness.
When we resist specific diets, the energy attached to the diets we are resisting will create blockages in our own bodies. So by strongly resisting what we most want to move away from, the attraction becomes stronger and it presents itself in ways we perceive as negative. For example, vegans with very adamant views on their lifestyle choices may find themselves attracting experiences where they are continuously and vigorously defending their position against meat eaters. They may eventually find themselves in a perpetual state of animosity towards groups that don’t share their perspective. In this instance, their choices have become a disservice to their greater cause and goals for becoming vegan. They create anger, resentment and fear within their experiences when their initial objective was to create love.
I have found that once vegans find a spiritual relationship with many of the animals they ingest, they find it much easier to pursue this form of energy transfer, rather than committing to dietary restraints based on principle. Eating for health and tuning in to the needs of our body, rather than solely based on moral grounds, is often a more balanced approach physiologically and spiritually.
If you do follow any specific diet, you are following your perspective and truth of what you feel is the correct path of sustenance. It is important not to judge based on how others eat, especially when making comparisons to your own diet. That’s an ego trap and will only develop imbalances within your alignment to others. All forms of dietary choices should be respected. Always remember that people would not be attracted to a specific diet if it was not serving them in some way and that includes toxic junk food.
We are creating a magnificent new world. It is imperative to allow people to experience the lifestyles that will bring them closer to the lessons they require and have requested here on Earth.
Be at one with your food, but most of all, allow others to do the same.
Source: Michael Forrester is a spiritual counselor and is a practicing motivational speaker for corporations in Japan, Canada and the United States.
5 DO’s and DON’Ts to Improve Your Health
At one point or another, we’ve all made a long list of New Year’s resolutions to improve our health and well being. Most of these resolutions will fail because support systems are not in place from the start. A strategy for changing habits is essential for improving your chances of success in any resolution.
When it comes to your health, there are many critical areas to help formulate this succesful strategy. Here are 5 key areas each to focus on and avoid:
1. It’s Not Only About Exercise, It’s the Type of Exercise.
There are just too many gym goers and joggers that think their weekly repetitive routines will keep in them in shape forever. Then there are those who are just starting a fitness program that think fitness gains are made by walking around the block. Exercise will not always be “fun” (despite what some say) and sometimes you just have to do it for your health hygiene….just like brushing your teeth or washing your hair. Vigorous exercise will also keep you in excellent shape for life. The latest research shows it pays off to alternate short bursts of high-intensity exercise with easy-does-it recovery.
– Vigorous Exercise For Long-Term Weight Loss
– Vigorous Exercise Keeps People Thin with Age
– Vigorous Exercise May Prevent Pain
– Vigorous Exercise May Slow Women’s Bone Loss
2. Count Your Calories
You definitely need to count calories in order to lose weight. You at least have to know how many calories are being consumed versus expended. People tend to overestimate their physical activity and underestimate their calories. Don’t rely on eyeballing your caloric intake or trying to estimate it. Instead, every day write down what you eat, the corresponding calories, and your physical activity. To make it easier for you to quantify your physical activity, wear a pedometer. Do this every day. Don’t do it just once or twice a week. Consistency is important for dieting. Sure, this isn’t easy. But if you want to lose weight, this is important to do on a daily basis.
– Calculate Your Daily Energy Requirement
– Calories Burned Calculators
– Fat Intake Calculator
– Protein Intake Calculator
3. Drink Green Tea
If you could only drink one kind of tea, this would be it. Studies have found an association between drinking green tea and a reduced risk for several cancers, including those of the skin, breast, lung, colon, esophagus and bladder. And research has shown that the antioxidants in green tea can help block the oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, increase HDL (good) cholesterol, and improve metabolism and artery function.
– Green Tea Extract Boosts Endurance
– Green Tea May Protect The Aging Brain
– Green Tea Helps Keep Arteries Clear
– Green Tea Extract Shows Promise As An Anti-Cancer Agent
4. Detox Your Body/Environment and Reduce Stress
The definition of toxic is poison. Sadly, we are surrounded by poisons that damage our health and put our lives at risk. We have been conditioned to believe that small amounts of toxic exposure are safe, but they are not. There are thousands of untested chemical combinations injected into our food and water supply, and there are deadly chemical compounds in our personal hygiene and cleaning products. Stress is the number one toxin, contributing to as much as 80 percent of all disease. Educate yourself about the deadly toxins or watch your health slowly and quietly deteriorate.
– Toxins in the Kitchen
– Help Protect Children From Toxins
– Preventing Stress A Good Idea
– How Many Pesticides are in Your Food?
5. Get Your Zzzzzz’s
Sleep is one of the most powerful (but underestimated) necessities to advance your health. Most research suggests that a good night’s sleep appears to be every bit as important to good health and long life as a nutritious diet and regular exercise. If you lack sleep, you are reducing your ability to optimize your health.
– Adequate Sleep As Crucial As Diet, Exercise For A Healthy Life
– Study Links Sleep Deprivation, Obesity
– Sleep Strengthens Memory
– How Sleep Affects Your Weight-Loss Efforts
1. Stay Away From Processed/Genetically Modified Foods.
The majority of evidence suggests that excessive consumption of processed and energy-rich foods encourage weight gain and disease. Limiting your consumption of such foods, many of which are high in saturated and trans fats, sugars and salt will only encourage optimal health. Avoid genetically modified foods if possible and stick to raw and organic foods that come from fresh and reputable sources.
– Genetically Engineered Food: A Cause For Great Concern
– Genetically Engineered Food List
– Eat Raw Food for Weight Loss
– Even a Little Splurge Of Saturated Fat May Be Too Much
2. Skip that Soda.
Consider the hard facts about soft drinks: soda consumption could lead to weight gain and various health problems, and scientists are adding to the list seemingly every day. Soda is the number one source of sugar in our diets and eliminating this useless beverage from our diets is a simple yet essential step in any health plan.
– Diet Sodas Can Cause Weight Gain!
– The Facts, Stats and Dangers of Soda Pop
– 10 Reasons to Stop Drinking Soda
– A Soda a Day Keeps the Vitamins Away
3. Avoid Vaccines/Immunizations.
Vaccines, all vaccines, are immune suppressing; that is they depress our immune functions. The chemicals in the vaccines depress our immune system; the virus present depresses immune function, and the foreign DNA/RNA from animal tissues depresses immunity. The current risks of vaccines far outweigh their benefits to most human populations, especially those in the western world. They should be avoided like the plague!
– Risks Of Vaccines Outweigh Any Benefits To Human Health
– Vaccines Exposed: A Hidden Crime Against Our Children
– Vaccines and Immune Suppression
– More Educated People Less Likely To Immunize Their Children
4. Is Modern Medicine Keeping You Sick?
Thousands of people die around the world every single week from properly prescribed medicine in properly prescribed doses. In the United States alone, drugs and medical errors are a leading cause of death. The fact is that modern medicine has been designed to promote death more than health. It is a model soley based on the treatment of symptoms for corporate profits. If we are ever to advance our health, we need to step out of the boundaries of conventional medicine and practice prevention. Your health depends on it.
– Scientific Medicine Is Often Scientific Deception
– Can Medical Journals Be Trusted?
– How Long Will You Be Able To Protect Your Own Health?
– Corporatization of Medicine
5. Don’t Rely on Mainstream Media
One of the biggest problems with mainstream media is that it is controlled by a half dozen corporations. Nearly everything we hear or see on TV, movies, radio, magazines and newspapers is filtered through that oligarchy. More often than not, we receive misinformation, distortion, suggestions and half-truths all for corporate profits. One of the most important things you can do for your health is to not rely on mainstream media when it comes to health information. Research a variety of credible sites on the internet. Hunt down the original sources of every article you read and cross-reference everything. Internet research is one of the most powerful tools to unlock answers to your health questions. Heed caution, and you will learn more about health than you ever thought you could…and it’s all for free!
– Selling Sickness
– Mainstream Media Distorts The Truth About Antioxidants
– Why You Need To Question Any Cancer Task Force
10 Easy Modifications
Sometimes we show up to class and we’re just plain tired. Other times, we want the stretch, but we’re injured. Should we just stay home? Maybe, as in the ‘extreme’ case of being sick, but in many cases, there are ways to modify your yoga practice so that you’ll still reap the rewards of deep breathing and investing time in yourself.
Of course, if you have a specific ailment or condition that needs to be considered, it’s helpful to work with a yoga teacher one-on-one, so you can create a custom sequence that takes your needs into account. Also, it’s best to check with your doctor before starting or continuing a yoga practice.
Having said that, here are my suggestions for 10 easy modifications you can try in your own practice, as you need them:
1. Bend your knees in Downward Facing Dog and any forward fold.
Let’s say you’ve been running a lot and your hamstrings are really tight. While you know the stretch that Downward Dog would provide would be great, it hurts when you actually do it. If that’s the case, keep your knees bent while in the pose.
This doesn’t mean bend them first and then straighten them; it means to keep them slightly bent the whole time. This will relieve some of the stretch on the hamstrings and calves. Apply the same action to forward folds from standing or seated.
2. Drop your knee down in Lunges.
When coming into a Runner’s or Crescent Lunge, drop the knee of the back leg. You’ll still get the hip flexor (Psoas muscle) stretch without all the effort. On a related note, drop your knee in Side Plank to decrease pressure on the supporting arm. This also works if you can’t put full support on your wrists.
3. Use blocks under your hands in Downward Facing Dog.
Sometimes people with wrist tenderness find that using a block (low foam block or high cork block) can decrease the discomfort. This can vary – depending on the person – so if this is something you experience, try it and see if it helps.
4. Skip Low Push Up (In Sun Salutations) and Move directly to Downward Dog from Plank
Just as using blocks can help decrease wrist tenderness, so can eliminating Low Push Up from your practice. When moving through Sun Salutations and coming into High Push Up, move directly to Downward Dog. This also works well if you have a shoulder injury.
5. Skip Upward Dog and replace with Low Cobra instead.
From an overall effort perspective, Upward Dog is a bit more effortful than Low Cobra. It can act as an accessible backbend for someone with sore wrists, a de-conditioned upper body or lower back tenderness.
6. Skip moving to the ground in Sun Salutations and stay on the feet for Warrior Pose
I’ve worked with some students that get dizzy when moving up and down in Sun Salutations. For students with this symptom, staying upright is better. Stay on your feet and hold Warrior 1 a bit longer as the class is moving through High to Low Push Up. If you’re practicing solo, skip moving to the ground and hold Warrior 1 on each side for 5-8 breaths.
7. Use a block for any twisting pose, like Twisting Crescent Lunge and Twisting Triangle
Blocks create steadiness and with increased foundation, we can feel stronger and supported. Use a block on the inside of the foot of the front leg for any twisting pose, like the ones noted above.
8. Use a strap for any bind
Tight shoulders and the constant rounding of the back can create inflexibility around the shoulders and weak upper back muscles. To help strengthen the muscles that draw the shoulder blades together (Rhomboids), and stretch the external rotator muscles of the shoulder (Teres Minor and Infraspinatus), use a strap in any “hands-behind-the-back” bind.
9. Rest in Child’s Pose as much as you want
How many times have you heard this in class and pushed yourself through the class anyway? When you’re coming back from injury or just starting out, or just generally tired, it’s healthy to balance the effort of the practice with rest in between.
As you build up your overall conditioning (and even while you’re doing that), you’ll find moments of rest in the practice. That forward fold in-between poses, or as you come to floor and proceed with floor work, can be moments to catch your breath.
10. Practice 50% physical effort (or anything less than all out pushing yourself)
I was at a teacher training once and about 3 days into it, I had an all-out, full-on breakdown. I was exhausted on all levels and just felt like going home. I called home and my mother said, “Why don’t you practice with less than full out effort and see if you can get through at least the next day?” I had never thought of this.
I tried it…and it worked! I felt better as that next day progressed, and actually felt stronger by the end of the week. We often approach things with an “all or nothing” perspective, and think we’re missing out on the benefits of what we’re doing. But we know that the benefits of yoga practice are plentiful, and many have little do with what poses we’re doing, the pace we’re keeping, if it’s heated or not, and other factors.
The “doing” aspect of yoga is about more than just the poses. Showing up, carving out time for ourselves, being in silence, taking deep breaths — these are all the benefits of the practice. They can be experienced by anyone, regardless of experience level, physical capabilities and knowledge of the practice.
Sometimes, the most illuminating practices happen when we show up with no expectations other than to take care of ourselves. This is, of course, the magic of yoga.
The post 10 Easy Modifications You Can Make to Your Yoga Practice appeared first on DoYouYoga.com by Karen Fabian.